NYC Criminal Justice

Tech Stack

Services Rendered


The Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice (MOCJ) advises the Mayor on all matters relating to the maintenance and improvement of a fair and equitable justice system. Recognizing that public safety cannot be achieved by law enforcement alone, MOCJ brings together community and institutional stakeholders to address the systemic issues that undermine the safety and stability of our neighborhoods.

This project was in deep collaboration with Christiana Zafiriadis under her mentorship. I was tasked with freshening up the website, improving engagement, and improving the backend to match department workflow

Website Redesign

Key Results

0 %

Page Speed Reduction

0 %

New Users Increase

0 %

Increase in Sessions

The Challenge

Old website:

The original website served the department well. It was originally meant to establish the mission statement and the context of the department in the overall vision for criminal justice.

However, after growth and establishment, the homepage was no longer servicing their needs

Key Website Concerns:

  1. The largest issue is that the website didn’t communicate how active the office was despite the amount of work. The majority of the first contentful paint was a mission statement and actual news was hidden behind several clicks
  2. The statistics on the homepage were outdated and unclear on our impact. This also was pulling data from a 3rd party graph animation widget which caused slowdown
  3. The navigation didn’t reflect the most common visited pages of users
  4. The program page wasn’t suited well for scanning. It also heavily depended on the average user knowing what each department did beforehand
  5. The imagery used throughout the website was repetitive and did not align with the intended tone or content of the plan.
  6. The about us page needed a refresh as we were transitioning to new leadership and it needed to be modular as the mission statement was in flux

The Process

After conducting thorough consultations and meetings with department heads and regular maintainers of the website, I commenced the research process to understand user usage patterns. My objective was to align stakeholder needs with  the needs and behaviors of both current and potential users of the website.

To achieve this, I relied on six primary sources of data for my analysis: Google Analytics, Search Console, SEMRush, AnswerThePublic, news articles, and user interviews. My primary focus was on identifying common user pathways, pain points, and attrition areas.

For current users, I collated data on common user pathways through universal analytics tools such as entrance traffic, user flow, and drop-off points. I also analyzed common search queries from sources such as Search Console, SEMRush, and AnswerThePublic, to identify user intent and language usage related to the project.

To further enhance my understanding of user needs, I collated common questions from public meetings, AnswerThePublic, autocomplete form information, and news articles to identify information that was not readily accessible on the website or information that was creating confusion to the average person.

Based on my research, I crafted three distinct user profiles:

Concerned Citizens

These were individuals who had low levels of knowledge about MOCJ. They were concerned about crime statistics in their local neighborhoods. Heavily mobile device reliant

Analysts & Researchers

Regularly interfaces with government agencies and MOCJ. These people had high levels of knowledge of crime and statistics and were looking for data streams or our research releases


They were primarily interested in the people behind the scenes. They wanted access to linkable resources and contact resources

For technical issues, I did an assessment through pagespeed insights and waterfall rendering. The website was fairly robust already with just image servicing issues and the aforementioned 3rd party graph tool

With a comprehensive understanding of user needs, I chose to optimize for user engagement, retention and search profile. I commenced the redesign process to align with the overall goals of the project and satisfy the needs of all three user profiles.


With deep collaboration with Christiana Zafiriadis and Colby Hamilton, I created mockups using Figma and Photoshop of websites that would match the tone of the existing webpages. I focused my efforts on the most commonly visited pages, the homepage, programs page and about us page.

For the homepage, I created a more compact and news focused above the fold section. For the navigation, I optimized for common user pathways or desire paths.

For the statistics section, I completely took it away and replacd it. These indicators were doing a poor job of communicating our office’s impact while having technical burden and also not servicing our core user groups.

I replaced it with graphical summary sections that highlighted key takeaways from data to make it more easily scannable and link directly to data sources or the programs that are impacting these figures. Using these modular sections also allowed us to explain the nuance behind the numbers or explain the current situation in a context neutral way


The entire process took five months, culminating in the launch of the new website in October 2022.

0 %

Page Speed Reduction

Average page load speed reduction: From 6.8s to 3.8s

0 %

New User Increase

7,393 vs 6,574 new users year over year

0 %

Average Time on Homepage

The time spent on the homepage increased 1:27 vs 0:58

0 %

Session Increase

8,893 vs 8,543 total sessions year over year